Brian Scott to replace Sam Hornish Jr. at Richard Petty Motorsports
Richard Petty Motorsports announced Xfinity Seriesveteran Brian Scott as the replacement for Sam Hornish Jr. in its No. 9 Ford beginning next season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Brian Scott will replace Sam Hornish Jr. at Richard Petty Motorsports in its Sprint Cup Series lineup in 2016, the team announced Friday.
Scott has spent the last six seasons in the NASCAR Xfinity Series, with no wins, 20 top-five finishes and a career-best fourth in points. He has 17 career Sprint Cup starts with a career-best 12th at Kansas in October.
“Our team has worked very hard to continue our winning tradition and building consistency,” RPM co-owner Richard Petty said in a news release. “We feel Brian is a great addition to that. He’s made a steady progression through the ranks, and now, we feel he’s ready to compete in the Sprint Cup Series.”
No sponsorship was announced. Scott has been sponsored primarily by family businesses through his father, Joe, who is heir to the grocer Albertsons empire.
Hornish, the 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner and three-time IndyCar Series champion who then transitioned to stock cars through Team Penske in 2008, finished 26th last year at RPM, his first year with the team.
The 27-year-old Scott has two career wins in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. He has driven for Braun Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing and most recently Richard Childress Racing.
Scott has never contested a full Sprint Cup season but won a pole at Talladega Superspeedway in 2014. He finished 12th at Kansas Speedway this fall to earn his best Sprint Cup result.
“We’re happy to welcome Brian to the team,” said co-owner Richard Petty. “Our team has worked very hard to continue our winning tradition and building consistency. We feel Brian is a great addition to that. He’s made a steady progression through the ranks, and now, we feel he’s ready to compete in the Sprint Cup Series.”
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY:. espn.go.com