Enjoy the experience of betting at Heritage Sports!
You have two categories of wagers to choose from when you bet on the ponies: straight wagers and exotic wagers.
With straight bets, you are betting on one horse to do a specific thing – Win, Place, or Show. Straight bets require a minimum risk of $2 on track, or you can bet as little as $1 through a betting outlet such as Pinnacle. Below are the types of straight bets as well as a brief description of each. Go to our betting strategy page for a more complete description of each type of bet.
- Win – You win if your horse finishes 1st.
- Place – You win if your horse finishes 1st or 2nd.
- Show – You win if your horse finishes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
- Across The Board– When you bet across the board, you’re betting your horse to win, place, AND show.
- Win/Place, Place/Show– Similar to an across-the-board bet in that you’re making multiple straight wagers in a single bet
Exotic wagers allow you to bet on multiple horses in a single bet, allowing you to increase your profit potential.
- Exacta – You win if you select the 1st and 2nd place horses in a race in the “exact” order.
- Trifecta – You win if you select the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place horses in a race in the correct order of finish.
- Superfecta – You win if you select the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place horses in a race in the correct order of finish.
- Daily Double – Daily Doubles require that you pick the winner of two consecutive races before the running of the first race in the sequence of races. Daily Doubles are usually offered on the first and last two races of each racing card.
- Pick 3 – You win if you select the winner of three consecutive races. The bet must be placed prior to the running of the first race in the sequence.
- Pick 4 – You win if you select the winner of four consecutive races. The bets must be placed prior to the running of the first race of the Pick 4 sequence.
- Head-to-Head – Some tracks offer a head-to-head (H2H) wager. The H2H wager is a race within a race. You pick one of the two designated horses in the race. If your horse finishes in front of the other horse, you win.