The Royals traded designated hitter Brandon Moss and left-hander Ryan Buchter to the Oakland A’s on Monday night for right-handed pitchers Jesse Hahn and Heath Fillmyer.
Moss was owed $8.25 million for the upcoming season, and the Royals sent $3.25 million to Oakland as part of the deal. That equates to a savings of about $5 million that the Royals, who have been trying to trim payroll, could use to sign free agent first baseman Eric Hosmer to a long-term deal.
Looking for the best online betting site? Visit Heritage Sports!
Moss hit a disappointing .207 with 22 homers and 50 RBIs for the Royals last season, and he was one of the names floated as recently as last week as the starting first baseman heading into spring.
“It’s been a unique offseason, as you know. Unlike any I’ve been part of,” Moore said of the rather tepid free agent market. “We remain interested in obviously bringing back Eric and we’re hoping for others as well, but right now I think it’s important we continue to not get antsy, not get overanxious with the market, and we’ll see what happens.”
“Economically we have to get our payroll back in check,” Moore said last week. “I was very candid what we had to do, that it’s simply not acceptable (to have a large payroll) in our market if you’re going to run a team that’s healthy and thriving longtime. We have some challenges but challenges we’re prepared for and ready for. I believe we’re ready to move forward.”
The 34-year-old first baseman and outfielder was coming off a down season with St. Louis when he signed with the Royals prior to last season. But he continued to regress from his peak years in Oakland, including the 2014 season, when he hit 25 homers and was voted to the All-Star game.
“I hit .207. I felt terrible. I felt like the pitchers were cheating,” Moss said during the Royals’ annual fan festival last week. “I should be thankful that I have a job.”