Dodgers pitcher David Price says he won’t play 2020 season

David Price, the former Cy Young Award winner who was heading into his first campaign with the Los Angeles Dodgers, became the latest player to opt out of the 2020 season on Saturday, alluding to health concerns because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Price joins Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals, Ian Desmond of the Colorado Rockies and Mike Leake of the Arizona Diamondbacks on the list of players who have preferred not to take part in a season that will consist of 60 games amid strict social-distancing protocols.

Price, 34, posted a message to Dodgers fans on his social media accounts that stated the following: “After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family’s health for me to not play this season. I will miss my teammates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I’m sorry I won’t be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.”

Looking for the best online betting site and Live betting? Visit Heritage Sports!

Price came over from the Boston Red Sox alongside superstar outfielder Mookie Betts in a five-player deal in February.

The five-time All-Star was supposed to slide in behind Clayton Kershaw and Walker Buehler in the Dodgers’ rotation. Ross Stripling, Julio Urias, Dustin May, Alex Wood and Jimmy Nelson are among the aspirants to fill the final two spots in the rotation now that Price is opting out.

Following the news of Price’s opt-out, Caesars Sportsbook said it is not making any adjustments to the Dodgers’ odds or season-win total. They remain the co-favorites with the New York Yankees to win the World Series at +350.

Players who choose not to play and are not considered high-risk individuals are not granted compensation or service time in 2020. Price, who previously agreed to pay more than 200 Dodgers minor leaguers $1,000 each to make up for lost wages, was set to enter the fifth season of a seven-year, $217 million contract he signed with the Red Sox in December 2015.

Get all the latest Live Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlets. Find us on both Facebook and Twitter

Share this post